Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'm occasionally to be caught mixing things up.

This applies most directly to my penchant for occasionally wandering back and forth between thinking about writing about playing, while drinking, and thinking about playing at drinking, while writing.

The results are actually less predictable than you might think - and sometimes pretty delicious. I find it's especially productive when applied to classics - either musical or alcoholic. For instance, tonight's twist on a cocktail classic:

1 oz Campari
1 oz Bonal. Thanks to a certain infamous Mr. Langer, sweet vermouth simply won't do anymore.
1.5 oz genever. Venerable Old Boomsma does the trick. Sure, spend the money on Bols. My fellow marketing professionals will thank you.

I find genever to be a bit less robust and pungent than its Briton grandchild, so I upped the dose a touch from what's called for in the classic Negroni recipe. Plus, a little something extra never hurt anyone on either side of the Channel - to my knowledge at least.

In honor of the drink's Walloonian connotations, I think I'll call it The Negroonje. How clever I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment