Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sub-exercise in compulsive discipline

"You can't keep me from writing. It's a kind of madness." - Charles Bukowski

"Shit won't happen if I work harder." - Cheeky college T-shirt's summation of Protestant theology.

Since I'm on a full-time hunt for a new advertising copywriter gig, I've been in need of a new way to exercise my smack-your-arm-and-raise-a-vein need to sit down every day and punch out something creative. Under my present circumstances, it was easy to concoct the resolve. Just mix one part straight artistic discipline, one part professional survival, and one part pure compulsion. Stir it all over the cold, bracing rocks of unemployment, and pour it all straight up in a glass deep enough to drown your neuroses in. Finally, garnish with enough loud, noisy fruit that the Creative Director at the other end of the bar will have no choice but to notice you, admire your flamboyant creative flair, and please, please, please God almighty, employ you.

You can see the broad contours of where this is going. he specifics are bound to get interesting - so stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment